The Family Plot


Not too long ago my dad called me and my sister “tree-huggers” and “green weenies,” Oh wait that was two weeks ago when we bought our electric lawn mower. Mind you it was my dad that took my husband in his truck to get that “green weenie” mower. Last year when I started my quest to lose weight and eat unprocessed food my dad said “oh good then we won’t have to worry about you coming over for dinner anymore.” Then he unceremoniously switched to naturally raised chickens on the grill and lots of steamed and stewed veggies for Sunday dinner. When I told him my daughter was not allowed to have milk from his house or refined sugar snacks, he scoffed at me and then he started buying milk from a local dairy, peanuts as snacks, and organic cookies instead of oreos. You can see a pattern here right? This year when I told him we were committing to buy locally grown food from farmers in our area, well, he became one. Farming is in my family’s genes and we have all had gardens, this year my dad created a very impressive family plot, garden plot that is. See, we live only a couple blocks from each other as does my sister and my grandparents. My dad decided he would create a very sizable garden in his very sizable yard that could accommodate all of our needs. The deal is we all contribute to the planting and care of the garden and we all reap the rewards. I see lots of weeding in my future as well as lots of homegrown goodness. Way to go Green Weenie Dad! I will chronicle the growth of our family plot through the season; we are currently on week 3. The pictures are of the garden at week 1, prior to planting. The garden includes a large raised bed and a double row of hay bales.

No comments:

Post a Comment