Homemade Deodorant Stick


About 7 years ago while in my twenties I had a breast cancer scare. It turned out to be nothing but for about a week I was really nervous. During that week I did a lot of research about breast cancer prevention and causes. Most scientists will tell you that antiperspirants are perfectly safe and you know that very well may be but then again it very well may not be. I stopped using antiperspirants at that time and started using deodorants without Aluminum, the primary suspect ingredient in antiperspirants that may increase our risk for breast cancer. The tissue under our arm is so close to the breast tissue it only makes since that the ingredients our body absorbs to prevent sweating would accumulate in the breast tissue. After searching homemade deodorant recipes I settled on one I found at littlehouseinthesuburbs.com mainly because it looked so easy, I didn’t want a powder recipe, and I had all the ingredients on hand.
So far the stuff works great and I am a hard customer, nothing has really worked great from me since Secret. I smell as cool as a York Peppermint Patty and my underarms are really soft too. As the summer warms up and I wear it to the gym, I’ll update on how it’s going.

Deodorant Stick:
¼ cup Aluminum free baking soda
¼ cup Cornstarch
10 to 20 drops essential oil (Tea Tree or Lavender are recommended; I used Peppermint and Eucalyptus because they make me happy)
2 tbsp. Coconut Oil (this stuff is solid at room temperature and melts with body heat)

Mix all the ingredients together into a smooth paste and stuff into an empty deodorant stick. I refrigerated mine for a few hours at first to help it get good and solid.
Make sure to apply on a light layer to your skin, that's all you need!

Update: After weeks, 95 degree days, and through a dozen long workouts I have yet to have any "smells". My husband has acted as my sniffer and confirms minty freshness. This stuff is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment