Clean Green Machine


Many people I have talked to about living green see cost as an obstacle. However, if done right it can actually cost substantially less. Case in point, cleaning products.

I make all my household cleaners using a small list of ingredients: White distilled Vinegar, Baking Soda, liquid soap (preferably coconut derived sulfate free), 91% alcohol, and essential oil (optional). It cost me less than $20 to provide the materials to last my family an entire year. I'll post all of my cleaning recipes over the next few posts.

Here is one of my simplest recipes, Tub Scrub.

2 cups baking soda
1/4 cup liquid soap
1/4 cup vinegar

I mix the soap and baking soda together first, it will become crumbly. Next add the vinegar into the baking soda in very small increments. This is very important unless you desire to remake the science fair volcano project from grade school. It will foam to the top of the jar, let it dissipate some the stir it in. Continue this process until all the vinegar is incorporated into the baking soda.

I use this mixture obviously to scrub the tub but it also cleans the sinks, and tile, and chrome particularly well. I also make toilet bombs with it.

To make a Toilet Bomb:

Scoop 2 tablespoons Tub Scrub into the toilet and follow with 3/4 cup plain white distilled vinegar. You actually do want this one to foam like that volcano from grade school. Let it sit 5 minutes and scrub as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment