An Abundance of Vegetables

Our garden has done very well so far this season. We are already reaping at least a dozen squash each day and the other plants are loaded with what is sure to be a bountiful daily harvest. The other day I was riding through a close by neighborhood and noticed several large gardens on empty lots. This is exactly what our family did, took an empty lot and turned it into a multi-family project. We take turns weeding and picking the produce. Since it is in my parent’s property they do typically water it daily though. When the garden is at its peak for harvesting it can provide our vegetable needs for most weeks this summer. This in conjunction with our weekly CSA basket will be an overwhelming amount of produce I am sure. Last week our CSA basket was a whopping 17 pounds.
I need to learn to can vegetables and tomato sauce. This got me thinking that I can probably provide for my family home grown local produce year round by learning to preserve the overflow of vegetables this summer. I am not sure why I didn’t start doing this for my family years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment