Anson Mills Popcorn Review


“Popcorn Yum!” my two year old excitedly squealed when she saw the air popper produce it’s yield of fluffy corn goodness. I like to try something new from the farmer’s market each week. This weekend it was obviously popping corn. Last week it was pork chops from Caw Caw farms but my husband set them on fire on the grill so I couldn’t give a true review on those. (We have had their pork roast that was so good most of it was eaten before I could get it on the plates) Anyway, I digress.
One of the true gems of Columbia is Anson Mills; they provide heirloom high quality grains to some of the best restaurants in the US. I am sad to say I have always skipped by the Anson Mill table at the market. Not this week however, I procured a 12 ounce bag of popping corn for $5. We are avid popcorn eaters, always air popped, because microwave popcorn is terrible for you. I have however seen fantastic methods of microwaving popcorn at home by putting the corn into a paper bag with a little oil and salt. I may try that one day but for now I love my trusty little air popper and my daughter gets such joy in seeing the corn pop.
Onto the popcorn... It popped up big, firm, and full with very few loose kernels. I lightly buttered and salted it and it was delicious. 2 tablespoons of corn produced a large serving bowl of popcorn, enough for all three of us even though I hogged most of it up myself. I am not sure that we could point out it was a super special heirloom variety corn over say the organic popcorn I buy from the bulk bins at the natural food store but it surely tasted good. It had an almost wheat corn flavor if that makes sense. It also had a quality that I loved; it was crisp and crunched under my teeth and was not soft and chewy like many other types of popcorn I have tried. I believe that is from its freshness. We will most definitely be buying this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment