Natural Sinus Relief with a Neti Pot

Every year when the Bradford pear trees start blooming my sinuses go haywire. When I was younger I never had sinus issues and then in my mid twenties I worked in our city’s downtown where the streets are lined with Bradford pear trees. They are glorious when they begin to bud and since they bud early they are the foretelling of spring and a welcome sight to many. Back in those days they were for me too. As I later learned sinus issues can be triggered at any age and my overexposure to those beacons of spring triggered mine. I used prescriptions as well as over the counter meds. Some worked really well and some kept me up all night. Then a couple years ago I discovered the neti pot. I am a big fan of Dr. Oz and personally think he has one of the most relevant worthwhile TV shows on. Well, a few years ago he got his start on Oprah’s show and he showcased a neti pot and how to use it. The neti pot essentially fills your sinus cavities with saline (salt water) and clears the mucus and irritants out while the saline soothes the nasal tissue and reduces swelling. My husband also uses it to ward off and shorten colds. I was skeptical at first and the first time I used it, well, it didn’t go well. After some practice I have found it to be an effective useful tool to be drug free and treat sinus problems. Last year my sinuses got so bad they lasted all seasons and I admit I resorted to Zyrtec because popping a pill is easier than using a neti pot. Since I am trying to commit to living what I preach, this year I will try the neti pot as my sole allergy relief. (I'll let you know how that goes.) Here's a great video on how to use a neti pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment