Granola Bar Recipe


2 cups rolled oats (I buy these in the bulk bin at my local Health Food store)
¼ cup Wheat Germ (can substitute ½ cup wheat flour for the germ and flax)
¼ cup Flax Seed meal
1 ½ cups nuts lightly chopped (I used a mix of walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds)
1 cup fruit (I used dried cherries and blueberries)
½ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

½ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar packed
1 TB vanilla extract
½ cup applesauce


Mix all the dry ingredients together, except the sugar and chocolate chips if using them. In separate bowl mix all wet ingredients with the sugar, heat on the stove or in the microwave to ensure the sugar is dissolved. Mix the wet mixture into the dry and let cool, and then add the chocolate chips.

Spread out into an oiled 9x11 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes for chewier bars and 30 minutes for a crunchier bar. Cut them while they are still warm in the pan, they will harden more as they cool.



This basic recipe is very forgiving. I rarely make it the same way twice. I have used this to make apple cinnamon bars, finely chop a fresh apple and add 2 tsp cinnamon to the mix. Raisin Oat bars, use raisin as your fruit. Chocolate Peanut bars, use peanuts as your nut and add chocolate. I have used fresh fruit and dried fruit, even used a banana or pumpkin instead of applesauce. I have used stevia (1 tsp.) and half of the brown sugar. I have forgone heating the sugar mixture when in a hurry and it was fine. Whatever your favorite flavor is you can adapt this basic recipe and add on to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment